Monday, June 14, 2010

My morning Toast and problem...

Last night in the labs, I had one of those interesting situations arise that SHOULD have been a "no brainer" to solve, yet actually caused me a great deal of unexpected Toast Titanium oddities.

It all started when a non-Apple using student entered my lab to copy a DVD--and not just ANY DVD, but a portfolio/movie/super-important DVD that needed to be submitted by the next morning... He had only one DVD-R to write this copy to...

"Will Toast burn a DVD?" "We can always try!" I had burned CD's with Toast before--what was the worst that could happen? Toast popped up and demanded admin username and password.... It asked for my email.... It asked to do updates--THEN it decided to burn the DVD. Three minutes later, the lab computer spat forth its unholy creation... The resulting DVD had separated out the audio from the video into two separate files and was rendered unplayable...

Feeling utter ashamed at my bad advice and apparent lack of Toast Titanium knowledge, I copied his DVD to a file on the computer, told him to return in the morning FIRST THING, and skittered off to Walmart to get some extra DVD's... Why, oh why--did Toast burn DVD's differently and where did I go wrong?

The next morning, I arrived with ten extra DVD's, used ARP to drag the students folder to my workstation and began experimenting. The Toast Titanium online help was not really helpful... Google search resulted in a number of helpful movie hacking ideas, but not much for the law-abiding among us...

Toast it has a fascinating feature. One can take a file and convert it to an ISO-like object assigned with a .toast extension. You can access it by opening Toast and selecting the little icon with two DVD's on it. Once there, select "Image File." I drug the copied file into the resulting screen and clicked "save as disk image." I then selected the resulting .toast file and drug it back in and hit the record button... A simple burn later, I had a DVD in hand when my student arrived at the lab...
He was happy--I was happy... and now I carry extra DVD's with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment